Sunday, January 15, 2012

Christmas in California

After a couple days of packing and cleaning, it was time to start our Christmas vacation! On December 22 we drove to Draper to spend the night at Smiths. They were so nice to let us crash in their basement and then drive us to the airport very early the next morning. We arrived in Oakland about 8:30am totally exhausted but super happy to be with Daddy’s side of the family for Christmas. That evening, after everyone had arrived we went to a special part of Alameda called Thompson Street. Each year this particular street has each house beautifully and creatively decorated in Christmas lights and decorations. The whole evening was awesome with beautiful weather and yummy pizza to follow.


The next morning was Christmas Eve and Daddy, Uncle Tim and Uncle Adam were invited to go play touch football with some old friends. Near their completion, we went to the park where they were playing to visit and saw daddy killing it as usual. They had lots of fun but there was also a lot of moaning and groaning afterwards.

That night, traditions began at Grandma and Grandpa Coopers with potato soup, sandwiches and lots of goodies. We also opened gifts and enjoyed singing some classic Christmas songs. Mom got my favorite on tape:

Even still I like this song sung to me a couple times before nap or bed time.

Luckily we didn’t stay out too late because the next morning was going to be an early one. I had sort of a rough night with a nasty cough so mom and dad felt bad waking me up at 7am to open gifts but it was worth it because I got spoiled!

Santa brought me a tool bench with lots of tools. From mom and dad I got a cow ball that I can bounce around on. From other relatives I got trucks, puzzles, a train set, clothes, a stuffed Sully (from Monsters Inc), books, Lion King DVD, art supplies, and a cool a wooden car ramp. As you can probably guess, I am a big fan of opening presents.

After 2 hours of gift opening, the extended family came over for a yummy breakfast consisting of breakfast burritos and pastries. Since it was Sunday, it was a little crazy trying to eat, visit and get ready for church, but we amazingly made it there on time to listen to some beautiful Christmas music and hear an excellent talk. Soon after naps, we made our way to Vastolas for games and a yummy (as always) dinner. I was pretty tired after my overwhelming day but I was still a good boy.

Daddy took me home early partly to put me to bed and partly because he had an early flight to Dallas, TX the next morning. BYU’s football team was scheduled to play in a bowl game the following Friday so dad had to meet up with them to start work again. Mom and I were super sad to see him go but were happy to hang out with family while he was gone.
The next day was jam packed especially for mommy. While she went on a hike through the Oakland hills with some of the family, I stayed back with Granddad, Ryan, Kit Kat and Uncle Tim. I love hanging out with granddad! We watched cars together and then he put me down for a nap. Then I played with my cousins until mommy came home and Granddad took us both to a very cool place. Granddad has a membership to the famous USS Hornet from WWII which is docked in Alameda. Because of my love of boats and airplanes, Granddad thought it would be a good place for me to visit and was he ever right!









This is a picture of me snuggling with Grandpa Cooper on our last day in California. We were sad to say goodbye but excited to go to Montana to see Mommy’s side of the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment